Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Now I'm a Farmer

“Now I'm a farmer, and I'm digging, digging, digging, digging, digging

It's alarming how charming it is to be a-farming

How calming and balming the effect of the air”

~ Now I’m a Farmer by The Who


Yep. It’s a very little known song by The Who, but I get it going through my head every year around spring. Truth is, I’m not a farmer but I really try. The only food I’ve attempted to grow was tomatoes. That experiment didn’t turn out so great, but it hasn’t stopped me from trying once more this year.

Since March I’ve built some raised beds and planted basil, spinach, lettuce, jalapenos and tomatoes (again) - so far so good. The spinach and lettuce are just peeking out of the dirt. The jalapenos are hanging in there and the basil is monstrous. On a side note, I’ve become a basil huffer. I can’t pass it without breaking off a leaf and smelling that awesome aroma!

I tried something different with the tomatoes this year, though. This winter, I was chatting with Matt Easley. He showed me how to grow tomatoes upside down without buying one of those AS SEEN ON TV kits.

All I needed was a hanging planter, soil, cocoa mat, landscape fabric and a tomato plant. I took the hanging basket and lined it with cocoa mat. I also put in a layer of landscape fabric just be extra safe. Next, I cut a hole in the mat and fabric. Now for the tricky part… I had to get the tomato stalk through the fabric, mat and the planter. The plant took a bit of a beating going through the hole, but it’s doing fine. I put the plant where it can get about 8 hours of sun and it seems to be getting stronger every day.

Now all I have to do now is water, fertilize and wait for the bumper crop to come in… hopefully.

So what are growing? You can show us by uploading pics to our community section or by posting on our Facebook wall. We would love for you to show off your green thumbs!

Oh, and if you are just getting started, check out this video for herbs and veggies anyone can grow.




Keep on digging, digging, digging, digging, digging,

Matt Mitchell
Digital Editorial Manager

No comments:

Post a Comment